Definitions and interpretation
|Data||collectively all information that you submit to Griffiths & Hutchins Publications Ltd via the Website. This definition incorporates, where applicable, the definitions provided in the Data Protection Laws.|
|Data Protection Laws||any applicable law relating to the processing of personal Data, including but not limited to the Directive 96/46/EC (Data Protection Directive) or the GDPR, and any national implementing laws, regulations and secondary legislation, for as long as the GDPR is effective in the UK.|
|GDPR||the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679.|
|Griffiths & Hutchins Publications Ltd, or us||Griffiths & Hutchins Publications Ltd, a company incorporated in England and Wales with registered number 09904286 whose registered office is at Lytchett House, 13 Freeland Park, Wareham Road, Poole, Dorset, BH16 6FA.|
|UK and EU Cookie Law||the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 as amended by the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) (Amendment) Regulations 2011.|
|User or you||any third party that accesses the Website and is not either (i) employed by Griffiths & Hutchins Publications Ltd and acting in the course of their employment or (ii) engaged as a consultant or otherwise providing services to Griffiths & Hutchins Publications Ltd and accessing the Website in connection with the provision of such services.|
|Website||the website that you are currently using, www.griffiths.guide, and any sub-domains of this site unless expressly excluded by their own terms and conditions.|
- the singular includes the plural and vice versa;
- a reference to a person includes firms, companies, government entities, trusts and partnerships;
- “including” is understood to mean “including without limitation”;
- reference to any statutory provision includes any modification or amendment of it;
- For purposes of the applicable Data Protection Laws, Griffiths & Hutchins Publications Ltd is the “data controller”. This means that Griffiths & Hutchins Publications Ltd determines the purposes for which, and the manner in which, your Data is processed.
- We may collect the following Data, which includes personal Data, from you:
- contact Information such as email addresses and telephone numbers;
- demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests;
- IP address (automatically collected);
- web browser type and version (automatically collected);
- operating system (automatically collected);
- a list of URLs starting with a referring site, your activity on this Website, and the site you exit to (automatically collected);
- shipping address: we’ll ask you to enter this so we can, for instance, estimate shipping before you place an order, and send you the order.
How we collect Data
- We collect Data in the following ways:
- Data is given to us by you;
- Data is received from other sources; and
- Data is collected automatically.
Data that is given to us by you
- Griffiths & Hutchins Publications Ltd will collect your Data in a number of ways, for example:
- when you contact us through the Website, by telephone, post, e-mail or through any other means;
- when you register with us and set up an account to receive our products/services;
- when you make payments to us, through this Website or otherwise;
- when you elect to receive marketing communications from us;
- When you purchase from us, we’ll ask you to provide information including:
- your name;
- billing address;
- shipping address;
- email address;
- phone number;
- credit card/payment details;
- optional account information like username and password.
- We’ll use this information for purposes, such as to:
- send you information about your account and order;
- respond to your requests, including refunds and complaints;
- process payments and prevent fraud;
- set up your account for our store;
- comply with any legal obligations we have, such as calculating taxes;
- improve our store offerings;
- send you marketing messages, if you choose to receive them;
- if you create an account, we will store your name, address, email and phone number, which will be used to populate the checkout for future orders.
- We generally store information about you for as long as we need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it, and we are not legally required to continue to keep it. For example, we will store order information for five years from the submission deadline of the relevant tax year, for tax and accounting purposes. This includes your name, email address and billing and shipping addresses.
Who on our team has access
- Members of our team have access to the information you provide us. For example, both Administrators and Shop Managers can access:
- Order information like what was purchased, when it was purchased and where it should be sent, and
- Customer information like your name, email address, and billing and shipping information.
- Our team members have access to this information to help fulfil orders, process refunds and support you.
Data that is received from publicly available third parties sources
- We will receive Data about you from the following publicly available third-party sources:
- Google Analytics;
Data that is collected automatically
- To the extent that you access the Website, we will collect your Data automatically, for example:
- we automatically collect some information about your visit to the Website. This information helps us to make improvements to Website content and navigation, and includes your IP address, the date, times and frequency with which you access the Website and the way you use and interact with its content.
- products you’ve viewed: we’ll use this to, for example, show you products you’ve recently viewed
- location, IP address and browser type: we’ll use this for purposes like estimating taxes and shipping
Our use of Data
- Any or all of the above Data may be required by us from time to time in order to provide you with the best possible service and experience when using our Website. Specifically, Data may be used by us for the following reasons:
- internal record keeping;
- improvement of our products / services;
- transmission by email of marketing materials that may be of interest to you;
- contact for market research purposes which may be done using email, telephone, or mail. Such information may be used to customise or update the Website.
- We may use your Data for the above purposes if we deem it necessary to do so for our legitimate interests. If you are not satisfied with this, you have the right to object in certain circumstances (see the section headed “Your rights” below).
- For the delivery of direct marketing to you via e-mail, we’ll need your consent, whether via an opt-in or soft-opt-in:
- soft opt-in consent is a specific type of consent which applies when you have previously engaged with us (for example, you contact us to ask us for more details about a particular product/service, and we are marketing similar products/services). Under “soft opt-in” consent, we will take your consent as given unless you opt-out.
- for other types of e-marketing, we are required to obtain your explicit consent; that is, you need to take positive and affirmative action when consenting by, for example, checking a tick box that we’ll provide.
- if you are not satisfied about our approach to marketing, you have the right to withdraw consent at any time. To find out how to withdraw your consent, see the section headed “Your rights” below.
- When you register with us and set up an account to receive our services, the legal basis for this processing is the performance of a contract between you and us and/or taking steps, at your request, to enter into such a contract.
Comments and Reviews
- When visitors leave comments or reviews on this Website, we collect the data shown in the comment or review form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
- After approval of your comment or review, your profile picture is visible to the public within the context of your comment.
- If you upload images to the Website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the Website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
Embedded content from other websites
- Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites will behave in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
- These external websites may collect data about you, set or retrieve Cookies, embed additional third-party tracking, and monitor your interaction with that embedded content, including tracking your interaction with the embedded content if you have an account and are logged in to that website.
Keeping Data secure
- We will use technical and organisational measures to safeguard your Data, for example:
- access to your account is controlled by a password and a user name that is unique to you.
- we store your Data on secure servers.
- Technical and organisational measures include measures to deal with any suspected data breach. If you suspect any misuse or loss or unauthorised access to your Data, please let us know immediately by contacting us at [email protected]
- If you want detailed information from Get Safe Online on how to protect your information and your computers and devices against fraud, identity theft, viruses and many other online problems, please visit www.getsafeonline.org. Get Safe Online is supported by HM Government and leading businesses.
- Even if we delete your Data, it may persist on backup or archival media for legal, tax or regulatory purposes.
- If you leave a comment or a review, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognise and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
- For users that register on our Website, we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
- You have the following rights in relation to your Data:
- Right to access – the right to request (i) copies of the information we hold about you at any time, or (ii) that we modify, update or delete such information. If we provide you with access to the information we hold about you, we will not charge you for this, unless your request is “manifestly unfounded or excessive.” Where we are legally permitted to do so, we may refuse your request. If we refuse your request, we will tell you the reason(s) why.
- Right to correct – the right to have your Data rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to erase – the right to request that we delete or remove your Data from our systems.
- Right to restrict our use of your Data – the right to “block” us from using your Data or limit the way in which we can use it.
- Right to data portability – the right to request that we move, copy or transfer your Data.
- Right to object – the right to object to our use of your Data including where we use it for our legitimate interests.
- To make enquiries, exercise any of your rights set out above, or withdraw your consent to the processing of your Data (where consent is our legal basis for processing your Data), please contact us at [email protected]
- If you are not satisfied with the way a complaint you make in relation to your Data is handled by us, you may be able to refer your complaint to the relevant data protection authority. For the UK, this is the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). The ICO’s contact details can be found on their website at https://ico.org.uk/
- It is important that the Data we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your Data changes during the period for which we hold it.
Links to other websites
Changes of business ownership and control
- We may also disclose Data to a prospective purchaser of our business or any part of it.
- In the above instances, we will take steps with the aim of ensuring your privacy is protected.
- Unless otherwise agreed, no delay, act or omission by a party in exercising any right or remedy will be deemed a waiver of that, or any other, right or remedy.
- This Agreement will be governed by and interpreted according to the law of England and Wales. All disputes arising under the Agreement will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.
You may contact Griffiths & Hutchins Publications Ltd by email at [email protected]